COVID-19 – How to Respond
The fast-paced nature of the COVID-19 pandemic coupled with patchy staff availability and often conflicting Government advice makes detailed planning very difficult.
Community groups and businesses need to set up a response capability that is dynamic and sustainable over the long-term. Our key advice for any organisation planning their response to COVID-19:
- Establish a Crisis Management team
- Convene a daily Crisis Management team meeting
- Monitor news feeds from trusted sources
- Adjust short-term response and medium-term assumptions regularly
- Communicate clearly and regularly with stakeholders
- Take decisive action, early
- Pace yourselves for the long-haul
- Adopt social distancing from team members at all times
- Log and record all decisions made
- Be human – everyone is suffering and scared
As a society, we cannot wait for the Government to tell us what to do. They do not have the resources at National, County, Borough or Parish level to cover the full range of services required by the vulnerable, self isolating and key workers.
This is why it is essential that community response groups are formed without delay. On 16th March 2020 we were asked to assist with the rapid formation of a group to support 80,000 residents across Surrey Heath To date this group have recruited over 2,500 volunteers and fulfilled over 1,200 requests for help.
Since that time we have developed the IsPrepared.uk COVID-19 Community Response Platform which has been adopted by Hart, Marlow, Runnymede & Spelthorne councils.
Our team are happy to share knowledge and technology with any Councils or Community Groups that need help.